March 9th, 2024: An Unexpected Conversation About Passion

I sat next to an Australian on my way to Winnipeg. He used to be a TV journalist. He has a fascination with trains, so he travels to Canada to experience different train rides or whatever is left of it in our country. 'Why trains?' I asked. His answer was about his childhood memories and how toy trains helped his imagination and took him places in his own bedroom.

He asked about my fascination. I told him that I am always fascinated by people who sit next to me while I travel. I discover so much about God that I might not know. It tells me the amazing creativity and beauty of God. I told him I once sat next to someone whose hobby is to collect old cars. He has more than 60 of them. His reason was he learned a lot about human ingenuity and priorities.

'I gather that you believe in God,' he asked. I decided to tease him by telling him God sits next to me every trip. His presence helps me understand other people's interests and devotion to them. Life stories confirm to me that everyone's life has a purpose and meaning if they pursue it. I don't just travel to Winnipeg. I have the opportunity to discover how passion can impact people. He then asked me whether I am willing to talk about that in front of a camera.

He was heading to Thompson on some rustic rail service, and I was driving down to Winkler. We said goodbye quickly because he was late for his lift. I hope he would keep in touch. 

"Delight yourself in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart." - Psalm 37:4

Popular Posts