Jan 19th, 2024: What Happened to Universities?


I know I have been writing extensively about the conditions of our universities. The truth is, I am both ashamed and amazed by how rapidly they have deteriorated. For more than 15 years, I worked among university students and professors as a campus minister because I used to believe in the importance of searching for the truth.

We used to have discussions and debates about different faiths, faith and politics, faith and science, and more. I used to speak publicly in open forums about my Christian faith and engage with students for extended periods. No one screamed at or called me names, even though we disagreed.

Nowadays, it is a different story. Ignorant, narrow-minded, and violent hooligans have taken over campuses. It is even more disappointing when university administrations have done very little to protect the rights of all students, faculty members, and staff. Many university leaders have become truth-denying cowards by allowing these violent protests to take place on their campus.

The path many universities have taken today is the road less traveled for many learned and truth-respecting academics. If we identify ourselves by slogans, we are no longer keen on education. The university has become a place where the uneducated and unaware gather.

“Lead me in your truth and teach me, for you are the God of my salvation; for you I wait all the day long.” - Psalm 25:5

Popular Posts