Oct 30th, 2023: Food, Friends, Foes and Fellowship



I have vegan friends who are very committed to their new diet. It's great to see more vegan options available in both restaurants and grocery stores, which has made it easier for them. A few years ago, my vegan niece came to work in my home city, introducing me to various vegan venues. Through these experiences, I've come to appreciate the flavors and embrace this new dietary approach.


I'm grateful for having healthier choices in my diet. When it comes to my dietary choices, I explained to one of my vegan friends that I've always been a believer in moderation. I choose to be vegan when I'm with my vegan friends, but with others, it depends on what's available on the menu. My goal is to make people comfortable while respecting my own principles.


I still fondly remember the days when I worked among international students on university campuses, where we had fascinating potluck dinners featuring dishes from around the world. Some of these dishes left a lasting impression, while others were simply unique experiences. Food has a way of bringing people together, fostering the kind of table fellowship that can open our hearts and minds, allowing us to learn about each other without preconceptions.


Perhaps this is what Jewish and Palestinian people need: an opportunity to share a meal and discover their common history rather than focusing on their contemporary differences. It's something I've been praying for.


"Though I am free and belong to no man, I make myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible." - 1 Corinthians 9:19

Popular Posts