Oct 18th, 2023: Another Flight Home Another Conversation


On my flight home from Montreal, I was seated in the aisle, with a civil engineer from the Punjab occupying the window seat. The middle seat was taken by a chatty young man who transitioned from being a carpenter to studying Criminal Justice.


The engineer, experiencing Montreal for the first time, expressed his fascination with the city's architecture and cuisine, even though he didn't speak French. He shared some interactions with French-speaking locals that left him unsure at times. I related his experience to my own early days in Calgary, highlighting the cross-cultural encounters we both had with Canadians from different regions.


The talkative young man in the middle seat enthusiastically showcased his French skills, revealing that his trip to Montreal was a gift from his "Sugar Mama," who generously covered all his life expenses. He seemed proud of this fact and then asked about my occupation. I explained that my role was to tell people that I have a relationship with God, who covers all my bills, including the bill of death. God loves people from diverse cultural backgrounds, language identities, religious upbringings, and personal biases.


This revelation left the "Mama Sugar" boy a bit perplexed. The engineer, on the other hand, inquired about my perspective on the existence of many religions. I shared that religious beliefs emerge from humanity's search for meaning and purpose, rooted in our intrinsic desire for worship and the pursuit of conquering death.


With approximately four hours left on our flight, the engineer continued to ask more questions, fostering an engaging conversation throughout our journey. The young fellow remained perplexed.


"There is a way which seems right to a man, but its end is the way of death." - Proverbs 14:12

Popular Posts