Sept 25th, 2023: Music and Spirituality

 


I had an interesting encounter with a musician on my way back to Calgary. He had just finished his one-week commitment at an entertainment venue and decided to return home early. The rest of his band was not with him. He was having a hard time with his cell phone as he tried to download the app to use during our flight. Since I had just finished mine, I offered to give him a hand. That's how our conversation began. When he learned that I am a pastor, he started talking about music and the Christian church. I told him that historically, there is a strong correlation between music and spirituality.


Many musicians and composers have been inspired by their faith to write music. That's why worship plays a significant role in Christian gatherings. It can be both the private language of the human soul while being in communion with God and the corporate language of a body of believers in adoration of God.


When music connects with the depths of our spirits, we find ourselves in the presence of God's holiness. We know that we are with God. Music now becomes a language of communion as we are mesmerized by the power and beauty of God.


Music can also calm our troubled hearts and anxious minds. We can refocus on what really matters and leave our worries to God. Through music, we hear God's comfort and instructions. 


"My lips will shout for joy when I sing praise to you— I whom you have delivered." - Psalm 71: 23

Popular Posts