Sept 18th, 2023: One Conversation At A Time



I had a recent conversation with someone about his disappointment with organized religion. He is skeptical and critical of all religions. He grew up in a traditional church but stopped attending by the time he reached high school.


However, his skepticism didn't stop him from talking to me about God at a party. He told me he still believes in "someone up there" but is not sure what to do with those thoughts. Our conversation focused on the following:


Don't worry about what churches have been doing. Ask ourselves the question: if God exists, would He want to connect with us and how? What would happen to us when that is the case?


Don't be distracted by people who use God's name for their personal gain. Ask ourselves the question: what would be our motive for charity and generosity?


Don't get involved in the blame and shame game. Ask ourselves the question: what needs to happen in our lives to protect our integrity? Coming to terms with our sinful and broken condition is far more spiritually beneficial than pointing out the shortcomings and brokenness of others.


I encouraged him to think about these questions and do a quick survey of the life of Jesus. I asked him whether he believes that God has dementia and forgot that He created us. He doesn't believe that. "He remembers you as well," I told him.


"Remember ye not the former things, neither consider the things of old. Behold, I will do a new thing; now it shall spring forth; shall ye not know it? I will even make a way in the wilderness, and rivers in the desert. The beast of the field shall honour me, the dragons and the owls: because I give waters in the wilderness, and rivers in the desert, to give drink to my people, my chosen." - Isaiah 43:18-20

Popular Posts