Aug 27th, 2023: Our Reaction Can Offend People

He walked by my car as if he had no idea where he was. He mumbled something, then pointed his finger aimlessly. I stopped because he was unpredictable. He searched his pockets, and I did not feel comfortable, so I pulled back away from him. He stopped and started screaming at me for being a racist. I stopped and waited. He couldn't stand up straight. I called 911 for medical help. He fell and lay on the street. I walked out of my car to make sure other cars did not come too close to him. It took some time for help to come.


I went back to my car and thought about what just happened. Was I afraid that he would harm me? Maybe, one would never know. Did I discriminate against him with my response? What would God want me to do differently? I knew that I was concerned for my own safety. Apparently, he had no identification on him, so no one knew who he was. That is not uncommon either.


Sometimes it is a good idea to reflect on our "natural reaction" so that we gain a better understanding of ourselves. I have had enough interaction with people on the street to have some discernment. However, people might get offended because we decide to do the right things at times.


Another day, another encounter, and another opportunity to learn about ourselves.


Romans 15:1 - “We who are strong ought to bear with the failings of the weak and not to please ourselves.”

Popular Posts