May 2nd. 2023: Be Aware of Our Hearts

 

I spoke at a church in Alberta 25 years ago when a homeless person walked into the sanctuary. It was a teachable moment for all of us because I was talking about Jesus' encounter with the tax collector and the pharisee's reaction.


Everyone in the church was unsure how to react when this man approached me directly. He called me "preacher" and asked for food and money. He did not smell very good, and he was not that coherent. I told him that after the service, I would be delighted to join him for lunch. He did stay even though he was tired and restless.


I could feel the discomfort among some members. We are not that good at dealing with these types of situations. We want things to be neat and tidy. Sometimes when God shows up, it is chaotic and unsettled. God sees things that we do not see. Are we really about God or just a form of godliness? This man told me his life story during lunch; that will be a blog for another day. When God X-rays our hearts, what does He see?



"The King will reply, `I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me." - Mathew 25: 40

Popular Posts