April 16th, 2023: A Simple Comforting Act

 


The young boy would not stop fussing. His parents become self-conscious of his intense crying. He was so hot, and they took most of his clothes off except the diaper. Other passengers had no idea what to do. They sat right in front of me. He looked at me with a smile and I gave him a wave. He stopped crying and smiled at me, but that didn't last long. The fussing saga continued with some shortstop intervals as he looked at me.


Finally, I gathered enough courage and asked the father whether they would like a break and allow me to have 'Bobby' for a change. Bobby could walk, so he walked with me up and down the plane aisle for a while. We stopped and chatted with some passengers, and I introduced him as my friend. He was tired of walking, so I carried him for the rest of our time together, and yes, up and down the same aisle. He fell asleep, but I did not stop because he would wake up.


His parents were astounded that he would allow me to carry him. I told them that it was good to have him in my arms. He looked so cute being asleep. The flight attendants were very kind in giving me something to drink while I was rocking him. I sat with the parents as people were getting off the plane. I thanked them for entrusting me with their son.


Sometimes we can offer simple help. God can use that to comfort many people. Sometimes we need to take a risk and believe that we can help even though we are unsure. Our foolishness can reveal God's beauty. Sometimes we extend our help without being asked so God's mercy can be there for people.


As I said goodbye to Bobby and His parents, I realized I smelled like his diaper. There is no need for me to expand on this.


"Now May our Lord Jesus Christ himself, and God our Father, who loved us and gave us eternal comfort and good hope through grace, comfort your hearts and establish them in every good work and word." - 2 Thessalonians 2: 16-17

Popular Posts