March 13th, 2023: A Moment to Reach out



I was watching the weather networks news while having dinner at an indigenous-owned hotel this past weekend. I tried to see whether I could make it home because of the weather forecast. I was too attentive, and a man who sat next to the TV thought I was staring at him. He became comfortable, so he bursted out: "WTF are you looking at?"


I was surprised, but calmly told him: "The weather!" He was embarrassed, but neither of us said anything else. We went on with our dinner.


After finishing my dinner, I went over to his table and asked whether I could have a seat. He nodded. We had a good conversation, and I learned why he took offense when he thought I was staring at him. Earlier that day, he and his wife went to a local mall, and there were watched and followed by the store security. That happened because of their indigenous appearance.


I asked him whether I could buy him and his wife some dessert as a peace-making gesture. His wife was happy and ordered it before I had a chance to look at the dessert menu. Apple and Cinnamon Bannock with whipped cream was a wonderful thing.


"Let brotherly love continue. Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for thereby some have entertained angels unawares." - Hebrews 13: 1-2

Popular Posts