May 15th, 2022: Futility in Thoughts and Action


I ran into someone I used to know in a small town in Manitoba.

He recognized me as I walked through his workplace with his foreman.


He was surprised to see me.

But he wanted to avoid me, so I let it be.


I learned that he has got himself into heavy use of marijuana.

He has been searching for his own nirvana.


He is not alone in this world.

Many people throughout history have tried to come to terms with their life's swirl.


We want to escape human suffering and pain.

We wonder at the end what we have gained.


We long for inner peace so that we can live with ourselves.

Yet, we encounter more and more external turmoil that kills our living cells.


We get angry at life and others who happen to be around.

We feel as if no one understands or cares about us while we estrange ourselves as isolation mounts.


Addictions to substances never provide answers for our life predicaments.

They bring more confusion and desperation than we can ever lament.


He wanted to avoid me because he didn't know what to do.

Inner shame is excruciating because it is like life's emotional monsoon.


Ephesians 4: 17-19



"So I tell you this, and insist on it in the Lord, that you must no longer live as the Gentiles do, in the futility of their thinking. They are darkened in their understanding and separated from the life of God because of the ignorance that is in them due to the hardening of their hearts. Having lost all sensitivity, they have given themselves over to sensuality so as to indulge in every kind of impurity, and they are full of greed."

 

Popular Posts